Like many young women my age, I’ve been a fan of the popular HBO show Girls ever since it first aired back in 2012. Though I feel that in many ways the show exaggerates (but doesn’t every show with humor?), a lot of the scenario’s are oh so recognizable for us Gen Y-ers.
Tonight, the fourth season of the show starts in the US, and as a tribute to Lena Dunham’s masterpiece, I thought it would be nice to put together a style guide on how to dress like the four ‘Girls’. So here it is! Everything you need to know to dress like Hannah, Jessa, Marnie and Shoshanna!
How to dress like Hannah:
Hannah may be the voice of her generation in many ways, but it’s safe to say she’ll never win any prizes in the fashion department. Much like her personality, Hannah’s everyday style is pretty chaotic and unkempt. Her clothes are rarely ironed and nine times out of ten pretty mismatched.
1. Don’t be afraid to wear something unexpected. Hanah’s look is many things, but never boring. Mix colours and prints. don’t really pay attention if they match or not.
2. Ugly is the new hip. Hannah really loves wearing questionable items, so the next time your grandmother tosses out a fluffy christmas sweater from 1982, claim it.
3. All Hannah’s outfits have a youthful, sometimes even childlike allure. Flat brogues, leather schoolbags and short shorts often give her look a cute vibe.
4. Hannah’s style is often vintage-inspired.
5. Wear whatever you want. Be unapologetic. If somebody thinks you can’t pull something off, it’s their problem.
How to dress like Jessa:
Jessa is my personal favorite on the show when it comes to style. Her style is eclectic and unique, and it feels as if she can get away with just about anything.
1. Jessa’s eclectic look can also be described as bohemian and draws a lot of inspiration from the seventies. Big jewelry, kaftans, hats,… Jessa pulls it all off and acts like it’s no big deal
2. Jessa looks amazing every time she wears (red) lipstick. It makes her extravagant outfits feel pulled together.
3. Wear your (long) hair loose and messy or in top knots & braided updos.
4. Unique pieces are a must. Find vintage treasures and handmade items to make your look more personal.
5. I think 50% of the succes of Jessa’s style lies in her confidence. Maybe even a little in her arrogance.
How to dress like Marnie:
Marnie is most definitely the put-together one. In the beginning of Girls, Marnie’s style was a bit stiff, but as the series matured, Marnie’s style has become a bit more relaxed.
1. Marnie always dresses like a lady. Ladylike silhouettes are key in her wardrobe. Your best friends for this look? Pencil skirts, fitted dresses, classic jewelry & high heels
2. Dress for the job you want (not the one you have). Marnie’s style is nothing but professional.
3. Go for classics. Marnie wears mostly timeless items with a modern and sleek look.
4. Less is more. Splurge on a few quality pieces and wear them often. It’s all about great fit.5. Take care of the details. Marnie always looks polished and she takes care of her whole look. Perfect nails, flawless make up, tasteful accessories,…
How to dress like Shoshanna:
For a girl who expected her life in NY to be exactly like Sex and the City, Shoshanna’s wardrobe mostly resembles something the cast of Gossip Girl would wear.
1. Her style is girly, Shoshanna mostly wears skirts and dresses.
2. Shosh often goes for cute prints.
3. Insert a little Breakfast At Tiffany’s in every outfit. Preppy classic.
4. Shoshanna’s outfits are almost always colorful. She wears a lot of pink, purple and pastels.
5. Shoshanna is not very eccentric when it comes to fashion, but if you want yo channel her look, be experimental with your hair. One time she had a donut on her forehead while she had a ponytail. Exhibit A below!
So, Who is your favorite girl? 🙂
All images (c) HBO